RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Do You Speak Calc?

Reply to topic    hacker.org Forum Index » Challenges View previous topic
View next topic
Do You Speak Calc?
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post Do You Speak Calc? Reply with quote
Since there is no topic for this challenge yet...

"Do You Speak Calc?" - Hm. I wouldn't know of any language or programming language which goes by that name, except maybe for this. That doesn't look much like 7-bit binary though.

I'm not looking for a hint yet, since I only opened up this challenge recently...
but maybe there is somebody here who also has not found the solution and likes to discuss some approaches.
Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
guga

Post Reply with quote
I thought about any unusual character encoding like the one of my old TI-89 calculator, since if it was a programming language or assembly code the amount of data seems to be too few. But I only get rubbish.
So what is the calc meaning? Only an abbreviation? If not, there would only be the Windows calc.exe or OpenOffce/LibreOffice calc. Or the Anglo-Saxon calc-rune, as wikipedia just told me Wink
Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:13 am View user's profile Send private message
AMindForeverVoyaging
Forum Admin

Post Reply with quote
guga wrote:
I thought about any unusual character encoding like the one of my old TI-89 calculator, since if it was a programming language or assembly code the amount of data seems to be too few. But I only get rubbish.

Yeah me too.

Quote:
So what is the calc meaning? Only an abbreviation? If not, there would only be the Windows calc.exe or OpenOffce/LibreOffice calc. Or the Anglo-Saxon calc-rune, as wikipedia just told me Wink

The "Calc" rune is just part of an alphabet though - the actual language would be Old English or Old Frisian.

It would be nice to know if really a language is meant here, or if this is rather a red herring.
Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:35 am View user's profile Send private message
dangermouse

Post Reply with quote
The rune is a red herring! To me it helped to identify the space. It turns out that space can be represented in exactly and only one way...
Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:41 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
marinuso

Post Reply with quote
Does the grouping of the bits in groups of seven have anything to do with it, or is that a red herring too?
Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
dangermouse

Post Reply with quote
Not a red herring, the 7-bit grouping is directly related to the Challlenge's title.

Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:36 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    hacker.org Forum Index » Challenges All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: