hacker.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
MY FIRST PROGRAMING!!!!!

Reply to topic    hacker.org Forum Index » The Hacker's Server View previous topic
View next topic
MY FIRST PROGRAMING!!!!!
0.Dark.Thought

Post MY FIRST PROGRAMING!!!!! Reply with quote
For my science project this year I am entering in the computer sciences category. I am going to be programing a simple binary to decimal converter. I'll be using Java. I'm currently doing research and reading a ton of material and I've read that, while I can use Window's Notepad, there are better text editors out there. Any Reccommendations? Also I was wondering if The Java SE Development Kit 6 (JDK 6), is the only compiler out there (if I'm correct and it is a compiler).

And any other tips on programing in java are welcome.

THANKS!!!!

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:17 pm View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Adrians

Post Reply with quote
As a Programmer's text editor, I recommend Notepad++ (it's free and open-source, has syntax highlighting and is easy-to-use; link: http://notepad-plus.sf.net/ ) , and as compiler&stuff - JDK as the only official "compiler".

As the idea, it is simple, but may be utile (you can make it even more useful as an IP decimal-binary calculator), and add also hexa conversion (the one that goes from 0 to F).

Personally, I don't like Java because I think is kind of bloated, and recommend something like C/C++ (classical programming), Python (scripting), Lisp/Scheme (functional programming) or JavaScript (to run it inside a web-page).

Good luck !
Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
BerryTheWest

Post Reply with quote
I hope you succeed your competition! Let us know if you are winning! Very Happy

Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:34 am View user's profile Send private message
brazzy

Post Re: MY FIRST PROGRAMING!!!!! Reply with quote
0.Dark.Thought wrote:
Also I was wondering if The Java SE Development Kit 6 (JDK 6), is the only compiler out there (if I'm correct and it is a compiler).

Sun's JDK contains, among many other things, a compiler. It is by no means the only Java compiler, there's also a JDK from IBM as well as gcj from the GNU compiler suite. It doesn't matter much which one you use, especially for the simple programs you'll write as a beginner.
Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
treader

Post Reply with quote
If you are using java I reccomend you download bluej/greenj.

TREADER
TREADER
TREADER
Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:35 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Zaffron

Post Reply with quote
Dude, hes probably DONE with his science project seeing as this was posted LAST YEAR
Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:16 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    hacker.org Forum Index » The Hacker's Server All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: